It is important to be at and maintain a healthy weight while trying to conceive. This means that being too underweight or too overweight can affect your fertility. You can look up what a healthy BMI is for your height and weight to see what weight you should be. Exercising too rigorously can affect your fertility in a negative way. You don’t want to do too much cardio- like running several miles per day or doing very intense cardio. Engaging in yoga while going through treatment may cause your tubes to twist and you don’t want to do that while being pregnant or during your treatment. There are exercises that can help your fertility.
- Yoga can be very helpful before starting treatment to de-stress. It can also help prepare the body for conception. Engage in yoga poses that focus on your reproductive organs. Many yoga studios offer classes for people that are trying to conceive.
- Walking can be a great de-stressor and it is a great way to get exercise in a non-rigorous way.
- Try to keep your workouts under an hour so that you’re not overdoing it.
- Zumba and dance classes are a fun way to workout.
- Swimming is another good option for working out, because it is low impact.
- Biking at a low intensity level is safe. Avoid high intensity cycling classes. Try to eliminate exercises that involve substantial bouncing.
- Try playing a team sport that isn’t very intense. Team sports make working out fun.
- Try lifting low amounts of weight. Avoid lifting heavy weights.
- Pilates is a great exercise option to engage in before treatment. Avoid it while going through treatment, because you don’t want to twist your tubes or any of your reproductive organs.
- Exercise is important while being pregnant so that you don’t gain too much weight while pregnant and it is a good stress reliever.
It can be helpful to get a trainer while trying to conceive so that you can get advice on the best workouts for your body type. Contact your counselor at Aspire for information about trainers and workout facilities in your area.
- Houston Clinic at (713) 425-3003
- Dallas Clinic at (214) 414-3806
- Atlanta Clinic at (678) 274-6760